Master of Science Health and SafetyAwarded by: Leeds Beckett University, UK
The Master of Science Health and Safety programme aims to provide safety practitioners with an enhanced level of knowledge which supports a career not only as a health and safety practitioner, but as a practitioner and manager of the health and safety process in both the private and public sectors, and with the ability to engage in research and practice development. It is anticipated that such a practitioner will have the ability to make a significant contribution to their organisation, the community, the advancement of the health and safety profession and wider society.
Students during their study will have acquired key knowledge, and developed the advanced skills that are associated with, pragmatic competent risk management strategies and techniques. Students successfully completing the programme will also have fulfilled the required professional body learning outcomes, as required by the accrediting professional body, Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH), and will be eligible for Graduate Membership and the opportunity to progress to Chartered Safety Practitioner status.
Such practitioners will have developed the ability and attitudes to critically identify, evaluate, develop, and deliver occupational health and safety issues in a range of settings, contributing to and securing enhanced personal and team practice through research, the continuation of personal professional development and lifelong learning.
Students completing the MSc Health and Safety will be able to:
- Critically analyse, examine and deal with complex occupational safety and health issues, formulating sound judgments using the evidence available and then communicate their decisions to specialist and non-specialist audiences;
- Act autonomously to plan and implement tasks in an organised and professional manner;
- Advance their knowledge and understanding of risk, and risk management in a holistic context;
- Demonstrate a critical awareness of current practice and be able to apply research methodology to contribute to practice development;
- Apply self-development techniques to enhance and apply their knowledge
On successful completion of the course, the student will be able to:
- Synthesise and respond to the complexity of legal/ethical issues within their risk management practice;
- Demonstrate the ability to operate effectively in complex and unpredictable situations within professional contexts;
- Demonstrate critical understanding of the dynamic nature of safety management;
- Critically evaluate and synthesise theory and good practice, and demonstrate an ability to engage in research and practice development;
- Apply a critical awareness of the impact of approaches taken by other professionals in attempting to solve common professional problems;
- Demonstrate critical awareness of topical and current issues surrounding the Health and Safety Practitioner.
Why Leeds Beckett University
Leeds Beckett University is a modern professional university with ambition.
Based in the vibrant city of Leeds, the biggest financial district outside of London, the University’s vision is to be acknowledged for its commitment to student success, innovation and enterprise, global reach, and strong local impact.
The University’s aspiration is to help create great graduates, exceptional employees, dynamic citizens and enterprising leaders and we work closely with employers and partners to ensure that its graduates are ready for work, ready for life, and ready to seize the opportunities that lie ahead.
Leeds Beckett has around 3,100 staff and more than 32,000 students from almost 100 countries around the world studying for a Leeds Beckett qualification; it contributes an estimated £500 million to the economy every year. The University is proud to be the only university in the UK to hold both the Customer Service Excellence award and the Investors in People Gold standard across the whole institution.
With a 190-year history of education, which began with the founding of the Leeds Mechanics Institute in 1824, Leeds Beckett is proud of its history and excited about its future.
Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH)
The course is accredited by the Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH) as meeting the requirements for Graduate Membership. Graduates may then progress to Chartered Membership status on satisfactory completion of appropriate work experience and professional assessments.
Health & Safety Practice
Occupational Health & Wellbeing
Professional Practice & Development
Quantitative Risk Analysis
Sensible Risk Management
Applied Research Methods
Research and Practice Development
Click here to download profiles of lecturers.
Duration & Intakes
|18 months||Sep 2023||March 2025|
Fees & Structure
|Structure||Tuition Fees||Non-tuition Fees|
|Full-time||S$23,760.00||S$700.00 - S$1,700.00|
|Part-time||S$23,760.00||S$700.00 - S$1,700.00|
Application fees: S$162
# All application fees are non-refundable.
# All fees quoted are inclusive of GST.
- Non-tuition fees for full-time programmes include MDIS membership entrance fee, membership subscription fees, MDIS experience workshop, academic writing workshop, medical insurance and fee protection scheme.
- Non-tuition fees for part-time programmes include MDIS membership entrance fee, membership subscription fees, MDIS experience workshop, academic writing workshop and fee protection scheme.
- Non-tuition fees for full-time programmes include MDIS membership entrance fee, membership subscription fees, MDIS experience workshop, academic writing workshop, medical insurance, medical examination and administrative fee.
# Non-tuition fees for international students may vary.
# Non-tuition fees are non-refundable, refer to MDIS refund policy for more details.
1) Standard Entry
Applicants should hold a second class honours degree in Health and Safety or in another discipline.
2) Entry With Advanced Standing
Applicants who already hold an IOSH-accredited Postgraduate Diploma in Health and Safety are eligible to enter the course with Advanced Standing to complete the 60 Credit “Research” element of the course.
3) Entry Through Recognition of Prior Learning/ Recognition of Prior Experiential Learning
Applicants who do not meet the above requirements but who hold equivalent qualifications and/or work experience, will be considered via the University’s Recognition of Prior Learning process which requires them to submit evidence to demonstrate the equivalency of their qualifications and/or experience. All such applications will be reviewed by the University Link Tutor and the designated University RPL Co-ordinator.
Applicants would need to be at least 30 years old with 8 years of working experience.
i) All applications should be supported by a reference, either academic or professional
ii) All applications are subject to final approval by the University
English Language Requirements
1) The English requirement for this course is IELTS 6.0 with no skills below 5.5 OR
2) Applicants who have successfully completed an Honours Degree which was taught and assessed in English OR
3) Applicants who hold the WSQ Specialist Diploma in Workplace Safety and Health (Admission to this course requires the same level of attainment) OR
4) Professional Certificate in English (Advanced Level) – a minimum of 60% OR
5) MDIS English Placement Test – a minimum of 81% OR
Financial Assistance Scheme
Student loans from the organisations listed below are available to Singapore Citizens and Permanent Residents. Please contact the organisations directly to find out how you may benefit from their services.
|TCC Limited||+65 - 6319 3700||http://www.tcc.org.sg|
|DBS Bank||1800 111 1111||http://www.dbs.com.sg|
|Maybank||1800 629 2265||http://www.maybank2u.com.sg|
0% INTEREST CREDIT CARD INSTALMENT PLANS
For All Programmes (Available in 6 or 12 months)
|Standard Chartered Bank||1800 747 7000||http://www.standardchartered.com.sg|
|Maybank||1800 968 2265||http://www.maybank.com.sg|
|UOB||1800 226 6121||http://www.uob.com.sg|
|OCBC||1800 363 3333||http://www.ocbc.com.sg|
|DBS||1800 111 1111||http://www.dbs.com|
|POSB||1800 339 6666||http://www.posb.com.sg|
|AMEX (Only 24 Months)||-||https://www.americanexpress.com/en-sg|
12 Months | Full-time (TBA)
18 Months | Part-time
+65 6247 9111
+65 6278 8000
+65 6796 7005
+65 6796 7009
- Greater China:
+86 139 1175 8357 (Beijing)
+86 138 1838 4885 (Shanghai)
+86 159 8926 0052 (Guangzhou
+86 136 8802 2229 (Chengdu)
+65 8138 1412 (Singapore)
+65 8863 7735 (Singapore)
WeChat ID: MDIS_Singapore_1956
- Korea / Japan: +65 9687 6012
- Philippines: +65 9687 6012
SOUTH EAST ASIA
- Vietnam +65 8511 6647 (North)
+65 9814 2969 (South)
- Indonesia: +62 878 7759 2375
- Laos / Cambodia: +65 8779 6040
- Myanmar / Thailand: +65 8779 6040 / +959 793 920 950
- Malaysia: +6016 398 8134
SOUTH / CENTRAL ASIA