YOU can be the next MasterChef!
City of Glasgow College’s Senior Chef Lecturer and winner of BBC’s MasterChef: The Professionals 2016, Mr Gary Maclean
Do you enjoy cooking? Are you satisfied witnessing the happy faces of people eating your food?
If your answer is yes for both the questions, check out our new cookery course – National Certificate in Professional Cookery, awarded by the Scottish Qualifications Authority, UK and developed by City of Glasgow College, UK.
The programme is designed to equip you with the professional culinary knowledge and skills. It will also prepare you to stay ahead in the highly competitive F&B industry.
The course encompasses theoretical and practical hands-on components. It covers units in food hygiene, working safely, food preparation, local hospitality provision and more. The course can be completed in 6 months for full-time programme and 15 months for part-time programme.
Through the programme, you will get the chance to learn directly from one of the following faculty from City of Glasgow College:
• Mr Gary Maclean, Senior Chef Lecturer and Winner of BBC’s MasterChef: The Professionals 2016
• Mr Willie McCurrach, Curriculum Head for Food
• Ms Amanda Davis, Curriculum Head for Food
Click here to enquire more about the course.
Chocolate Lava Cake
- 50 g dark couverture chocolate
- 50 g butter
- 50 g sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 50 g flour (sifted)
- Fresh or frozen strawberries
- Vanilla pod
- Melt dark couverture chocolate and butter over a pot of hot water; stir occasionally, do not melt for too long as chocolate will burn easily.
- Once chocolate has melted, remove from heat. Set aside.
- Weigh out and sift cake flour. Set aside.
- Whisk eggs and sugar till light and creamy. Set aside.
- Using a spatula, slowly fold in flour into egg mixture and make sure no lumps of flour remain.
- Pour melted chocolate and mix well.
- Pour or scoop mixture into ramekins till 85-90% full.
- Bake at 200°C for 8-12mins depending on size of ramekins.
- While chocolate lava is in the oven, prepare strawberries or mix berries (fresh or frozen).
- Place into sauté pan with sugar, water and vanilla pod.
- Heat up, stir and let it simmer till the liquid starts to thicken. Set aside.
- Once lava cake is out of the oven, let it cool for a bit.
- Flip over the ramekin to release the lava cake.
- Plate with strawberry compote and serve immediately.
Credit: Chef ek seng